Volunteer at Rootstalk!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Rootstalk!
Rootstalk depends on the efforts of many volunteers who offer their skills and services through working crews. We extend our thanks to all of you who support Cascadia Wildlands through our volunteer program.
All volunteer positions have been filled for this year’s Rootstalk festival. However, if you are 18 years or older and would like to be placed on the back-up list in case of a cancelation, please email the volunteer application to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will pass along your information to the coordinator for that crew. Below is a list of our crews and a short description of how they contribute to Rootstalk.
We look forward to celebrating plants, people, and planet together with you at Rootstalk!
Admissions and Information Crew
- Welcomes visitors to Rootstalk.
- Issues wristbands and parking passes at Will Call.
- Handles administrative tasks for participating vendors.
- Handles volunteer registration, wristbands, and parking passes.
- Distributes informational packets to all attendees.
- Responsible for answering questions during Rootstalk.
- Distributes extra maps, programming schedules, proceedings books, & other printed materials.
- Helps attendees navigate the festival grounds.
- Coordinates on-site camping for attendees, educators, entertainers, volunteers, and staff.
- Handles cart check-out and check-in for hauling camping gear and supplies to camping sites.
- Coordinates with Traffic Crew shuttle from parking lot to camping during registration.
- Handles educator, presenter, & non-profit registration, wristbands, & parking passes.
- Handles all gift baskets & packages for educators, presenters, and/or non-profits.
- Staffs all classroom assistant positions required.
- Assists educators with setting up classroom spaces, keeping track of time, and distributing materials.
- Responsible for the timeliness of scheduled bands on Main Stage.
- Assists with all lighting, sound, and production for Main Stage.
- Monitors the Green Room for approved access.
- Handles entertainment registration, wristbands, & parking passes.
- Assists entertainment with set up & break down.
- Provides extra security for entertainment equipment.
Fire & Safety Crew
- Makes sure fire lanes are clearly marked, always open and accessible.
- Monitors all open approved burning fire circles.
- Monitors the designated smoking areas for potential fire hazards.
- Monitors campsites for unapproved fires.
- Works with our neighbors to guarantee their comfort, security, and safety during Rootstalk.
- Makes sure we are safe and comfortable 24 hours a day during Rootstalk.
- Monitors all areas for potential safety hazards and finds solutions.
- Provides security in the parking lots.
- Provides security for the vendors.
- Provides security for the entertainers.
- Provides security for the camping areas.
Main Camp Crew
- Coordinates activities.
- Manages back-up volunteer crew & schedules tasks accordingly.
- Coordinates communication among all crews and serves as a hub for radios.
- Check in/out station for motorized gators and golf carts.
- Provides Crew Leads with money vouchers for volunteers during their shifts.
- Responsible for all keys to site facilities.
- Prepares entire 4-H campus for the Rootstalk festival.
- Assists with setting up tables, chairs, fencing, décor, and miscellaneous furniture.
- Makes sure drinking water locations are marked and water dispensers are full.
- Makes sure maps are displayed around Rootstalk.
- Makes sure banners and signs are secured and correctly placed around Rootstalk.
- Ensures that Rootstalk is a Zero-Waste event.
- Works with 4H Center personnel to organize sanitization of facilities.
- Will help sort recycling and compost to reduce landfill waste.
- Responsible for all recycling before, during, and after Rootstalk.
- Responsible for all compost before, during, and after Rootstalk.
- Manages all canisters on-site to ensure proper labeling, location, and collection.
- Monitors the grounds for litter.
- Directs traffic.
- Helps folks find the right place to park.
- Responsible for entry of approved vehicles into restricted vehicle areas.
- Responsible for staking and plotting parking spaces for Rootstalk.
- Responsible for motorized shuttle from parking lot to campsites during registration.
- Assists vendors with set up, break down, and other needs during Rootstalk.
- Works with Polk County Health Department to make sure all food booths comply with regulations.
- Makes sure that all booths have access to water.
- Makes sure that booths have access to requested and approved electricity.
- Handles all ice sales.
- Works with non-profits, educators, and entertainment to sell/display their product during Rootstalk.
- Sells commemorative items such as Rootstalk t-shirts and posters.
- Will assist any crew with any need or project throughout the festival.
- Available to staff any crew at anytime during the event.